5 Approaches for Total Quality Management
A resource and time-consuming process, Software Development is considered as an expensive process. The complete stage of the effort of the development firm can get spoiled in a moment once the software quality gets compromised. It will heavily cost the firm not just in terms of resource but too in terms of time. Moreover, it may risk the fame of the development team completely, thereby the future business landscapes also get affected. To avoid such situations, top companies of software development spend lots of penny on quality control, testing and quality assurance.
Most of the companies have experts in their department of quality control who look into the quality and software testing at all the levels. Still, most of the times, it is apprehended that all the attempts for attaining the quality have sunk. This results in a poor reputation for the brand in the market.
REASONS FOR FAILURE
Today, we will discuss the various reasons for failure in attaining the quality in spite of having a talented team.
- Developers are involved very limited in quality matters.
- The coordination between the developers and quality assurance or testing experts also seems to be poor.
- Exact customer needs also lack consideration.
- Customer general inputs are also becoming less.
- The communication dilemmas between the hierarchies.
- The outdated technology or resources shortage can too lead towards the failure of the quality initiatives.
If you review all the above-mentioned reasons then you will notice that most of these are actually system generated and can be resolved by simply performing the changes in the system.
Total Quality Management (TQM) as the name speaks, starts with the basis that the responsibility of the quality can’t be put on the shoulders of just one or two individuals or departments or even on a small phase of the software development process. Across all the processes and departments of the organization, it has to be collective.
If applied properly, TQM can aid in reducing the development costs of the firm. This should be gained not by jeopardizing resources or quality but too by making the process more dynamic in terms of resources and time. The tag, ‘resources’ includes software, hardware, financial resources as well as human resources. If the management of the development costs is done well, the product can be sold without provoking any losses at low cost. A firm is favoured in the cost-conscious market if attaining cost control while delivering quality.
5 Approaches for Total Quality Management
If the system of a software development company holds a set of TQM approaches, then the firm catches a top edge of the market as compared to the count for the below reasons:
1. Customer-Centric Approach
The focus of the customer assists in attracting regular business and creating a good prominence in the market. While dealing with the clients, at various levels a trust has to be developed with one’s processes, conduct, and results. A satisfied and happy customer in the future is not just the root of a regular business but can even assist in promotions through the referrals. On the improvement of customer experience as ensured by the system, there are minimal grievances, fewer complaints, and hardly any client loss. Well expressed timelines and loyalty to the same is very important for the development of customer trust.
2. Continuous Improvement
Taking inspiration from the Japanese term, Kaizen, which means “change for the better”, continuous improvement can be attained by business process reengineering and benchmarking.
- Business Process Re-engineering: In the quick updating and modern software industry, everything can be tailored. So, even the best of processes or systems don’t get an upgrade to meet the changing market demands they too are adhered to fail. With the changing trends, the requirements of the customer also get altered. To accomplish the demands of the dynamic environment, the system needs an alteration inside as its success relies on its market receptivity. The outdated processes are erased and the new and updated versions of software and hardware are availed. Thus, business process re-engineering is allowed to be implemented which assists the firm giving a pathway to the new processes and avoid the wastage of resources and time that are the outcomes of unwanted processes.
- Benchmarking: Actually, the continuous improvement initiates with benchmarking the best approaches of industry or comparing the processes and strategies with a competitor or the market leader.
3. Effective and Timely Decisions
For any business, decision making is important. Decision making is collective in a total quality management system which assures that in implementation, the decisions get cooperation. This accelerates the process and makes it more efficient. If a problem gets identified, for relevant development efforts and training, a timely decision can help the firms to perform better and avoid future dilemmas.
4. Responsibility Sharing
Throughout the industry, the total quality management system is prevalent. This supports in improving the cooperation between the hierarchies of the company thereby avoiding the losses. The message, “the responsibility for any viable future failures would be shared by everyone”, is delivered clearly and loud to all. This enhances the conscious level of delivering quality among the teams at the collective and individual levels. TQM flexible systems are collectively managed and so the need for monitoring the processes lowers down and thereby encouraging creativity and saving time. At each level with extra responsibility, better quality, and less monitoring, a brand can manage to handover the top-quality to win the market.
5. Better Coordination and Communication
The two keys to total quality management are coordination and communication. The wastage of resources can be prevented by the easy sharing of resources. Also, the quality-relevant issues can be resolved and communicated instantly when occur. This results in improved product delivery experience and efficient process. When communication is better within different departments, developers are also made a part of quality related issues and decision making.
The interaction between the development and quality team should be increased with the smooth flow of information between for ensuring responsibility of quality at every level. Right from the roots, if the quality is taken under care, the possibility of serious quality issues can be defeated at the later stages of projects. This efficiency of the process that is attained through improved coordination ultimately aids in better and rapid product delivery.
At the top software testing companies, clients have accomplished excellence by grasping the TQM art. The best ever solution for software development industries is the quality measure that is instilled through TQM to grow and cope up with the faster-changing market.